Harry, Meghan apologize for Brand UK tabloid column ‘PR stunt’ | World news | Daily News Byte

[ad_1]

Prince Harry and wife Meghan accused The Sun of a “PR stunt” on Saturday after the British tabloid apologized and said it regretted publishing a much-criticized column about the couple.

The piece, in which former “Top Gear” host Jeremy Clarkson said he “hated” Meghan, sparked a huge backlash and became the UK Independent Press Standards Organization’s (IPSO) most complained-about article.

Also read | Any guesses? This member of the royal family is supporting Prince Harry, Meghan Markle

In it, Clarkson said he dreamed of the day when Meghan “is made to parade naked through the streets of every town in Britain while the crowd chants ‘Shame on you!’ and throw lumps of excrement on him.”

IPSO received more than 20,000 complaints and several high-profile figures, including author Philip Pullman and London Mayor Sadiq Khan, criticized the comments.

The Sun, which removed the December 16 article from its website three days later at Clarkson’s request, said in its Friday apology that it would now also be removed from its archives.

“We are deeply sorry,” the tabloid said in a statement on its website.

“The columnists’ opinions are their own, but as publishers, we understand that with free expression comes responsibility.”

Also read | Prince Harry, Meghan Markle ‘hijack’ Princess Diana’s legacy…

But in response to the sting, a spokesman for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex – as they are formally known – criticized Meghan for failing to contact her directly to apologize.

“The fact that The Sun has not contacted the Duchess of Sussex to apologize shows their intent. This is nothing more than a PR stunt,” the spokesperson said.

“While the public deserve the publication’s apology for their dangerous comments, we wouldn’t be in this situation if The Sun didn’t continue to capitalize on hate, violence and misogyny.

“A real apology would be a change in their coverage and ethical standards for all. Unfortunately, we’re not holding our breath.”

This article was written in response to the couple’s recent Netflix docuseries “Harry and Meghan,” in which they were heavily criticized by the UK tabloid press.

Also read | Kate Middleton has an incredible gift from King Charles ahead of Christmas…

In his own response earlier this week, Clarkson took to Twitter to say that he had made a “clumsy reference to a scene from Game of Thrones and it went down badly with a lot of people”.

He added: “I’m terrified of being so hurt and I’ll be more careful in the future.”

In one of the most famous scenes from “Game of Thrones,” a female character does a “walk of shame” where she is forced to walk the streets naked as people throw trash at her.

[ad_2]

Source link