Harry, Meghan brand UK tabloid column apologizes for ‘PR stunt’ | Daily News Byte

[ad_1]

The Sun, which removed the December 16 article from its website three days later at Clarkson’s request, said in its Friday apology that it would now also be removed from its archives.

“We are deeply sorry,” the tabloid said in a statement on its website. “The columnists’ opinions are their own but as publishers, we understand that with free expression comes responsibility.”

But in response to the sting, a spokesman for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex as they are formally known Criticized him for failing to contact Meghan to apologize directly.

“The fact that The Sun has not contacted the Duchess of Sussex to apologize shows their intent. This is nothing more than a PR stunt,” the spokesperson said.

“While the public deserve the publication’s apology for their dangerous comments, we wouldn’t be in this situation if The Sun didn’t continue to capitalize on hate, violence and misogyny.

“A true apology would be a change in their coverage and ethical standards for all. Unfortunately, we’re not holding our breath.”

The article was written in response to the couple’s recent Netflix docuseries Harry & Meghan, in which they were highly critical of the UK tabloid press.

In his own response earlier this week, Clarkson took to Twitter to say that he had made a “clumsy reference to a scene from Game of Thrones and it went down badly with a lot of people”.

He added: “I’m terrified of being so hurt and I’ll be more careful in the future.”

In one of Game of Thrones’ most famous scenes, a female character does a “walk of shame” where she is forced to walk naked through the streets as people throw trash at her.

[ad_2]

Source link